Monday, October 4, 2010

OMG I finished a book that's not Harry Potter!


AND...it was actually meant for adults! So I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I gotta say, since the last few books I read was either Harry Potter or Twilight, I was not prepared for the graphic nature of this book. The story included rape, incest, pedophilia, animal sacrifice, and murder...things that make Voldemort look like a gentle puppy.

The story is about an editor of a popular Swedish magazine, Mikael Blomkvist, who is accused and convicted of libel. The media attention he receives puts him on the radar of an old industry tycoon (Henrik Vangar) who hires him to investigate the disappearance of niece, which occurred 40 years ago. In the process of his investigation, Blomkvist uncovers many secrets of the Vangar family, which puts his own life at risk.

For the most part, I enjoyed the book. It starts really slow with the first few chapters more about Blomkvist's legal troubles than anything else. The actual murder mystery doesn't begin until like 100 pages in. But once it got started, it was an enjoyable read...up until the mystery was solved. You'd think that'd be where the book ends, but alas, no... Blomkvist's legal trouble needed to be resolved which took entirely too long and isn't very interesting.

I'd definitely recommend this book. Just remember that you must stick through the first few chapters. I'm going to wait a bit before continuing onto the next book of this series. I'm going to give Hunger Games a try. Apparently it's all the rage these days.

No comments: